Fun Halloween Ideas!
Read some Halloween books
Check out a book from our display, or listen to some online books HERE
Have a candy hunt
Have a candy scavenger hunt with clues, or just hide candy around the house and/or yard and turn the kids loose! For extra excitement, turn off all the lights and use flashlights to hunt for treats! Want to create a fancy scavenger hunt but need inspiration? Check out a tutorial HERE or a bunch of ideas HERE
Make a spooky snack
Have a family dance party
Put on a Halloween playlist and dance – play freeze dance for even more excitement! Need some music recommendations? Check out a kids playlist HERE and a more grown-up friendly list HERE (you will need a free spotify account to play)
Watch a spooky movie
Make a Halloween craft
Pick up a treat bag from the library (flutter ghost craft included!) or try out a craft from these sites!
- Preschooler crafts from Redbook
- 32 Halloween crafts from Redbook
- Quick & easy Halloween crafts from Happiness is Homemade
- 50+ Halloween Crafts from The Best Ideas for Kids
- 40+ easy Halloween crafts from Good Housekeeping
- 43 easy Halloween crafts from Country Living
- Best kids Halloween crafts from Martha Stewart
Decorate the house
Streamers, spiderwebs, balloons – you do you, just have fun! Need some inspiration? Check out some ideas HERE
Do some face painting
Nothing screams SPECIAL DAY more than face paint! Pick up some safe paints and let your inner artist out! You can ask your kid for requests, or check out some ideas HERE
Have a candy tasting
Gather as much candy as you want, and try each piece. Discuss their merits. Rate them by order of your favorite. Maybe try another piece of each just to be sure…!
Carve or paint pumpkins
Carve a pumpkin or if you don’t want to handle sharp objects, paint one! Need some inspiration? See below!
- 75 easy pumpkin carving ideas from Country Living
- 29 easy pumpkin carving ideas from Better Homes & Gardens
- 72 easy no-carve pumpkin decorating ideas from Good Housekeeping
- Easy no-carve pumpkin decorating ideas from Parents
- Kid-friendly pumpkin decorating ideas from The Spruce
Wear your costume!
Take pictures and send to friends and family!
Play a Halloween game
You could always go with a family board game such as Candy Land (get it?! CANDY?!) for younger kids or Clue for older kids, or check out some other game ideas below!
- 35 Halloween games for kids from Good Housekeeping
- 40 Halloween games for families from Country Living
- All ages Halloween games from The Spruce