If you have participated before, you know that you want to be here on Saturday, June 17 to pick up your summer reading packet. If you haven’t participated before you should be at Topsham Public Library on Saturday, June 17 to pick up your summer reading packet. There are packets for babies, children, teens, and adults, too. These packets include information about programs and prizes available to all. Of course, if you cannot make it here on Saturday, you can pick up a packet the next time you visit.
Each packet contains a bookmark to record your summer reading. The completion of those bookmarks earn you prizes and/or tickets for raffles. Plus those packets will have flyers that highlight the special programs and opportunities taking place throughout the summer. Some of the highlights (and these are just highlights – you want to get the packets for all the details and programs) are:
- Thursday, July 20 at 4:30pm join us as we explore sharks and their unique adaptations that help us learn more about their role in the ecosystem. Sharks4Kids will demonstrate why we should protect these animals instead of fearing them. Designed for ages 5-13, limit first 100 people.
- Knit a Better World on Saturday, July 22 at 2pm. Warm Up America collects knit or crocheted 7×9″ squares and assembles them into cozy blankets. We want to send them some knit squares. Mariah or Emma can assist you in learning the basics of knitting, then you can take your project home to finish over the summer. We will provide yarn and needles. Designed for ages 7-12, registration is required for the instruction/supplies. If you would like to knit squares on your own, simply knit a 7×9″ square and bring it in to Mariah.
- On Saturday, July 29 join us for Staycation 2017: a morning of special guests will read aloud to children. Guests include the principals from Topsham’s elementary schools, the Topsham Fire Chief, Topsham Town Manager and more. Then enjoy your picnic lunch on our grounds and we provide free ice cream and free beverages sponsored by Friends of Topsham Public Library. Details can be found at www.topshamlibrary.org/staycation or pick up your flyer at Topsham Public Library.
- Family Concert with Matt Loosigian on Friday, August 11 at 10am. Inspired by Matt’s incredibly dynamic voice and charismatic performance style, participants will sing, play and dance along as this musical wizard pulls giggles out of his guitar! Designed for children, but all ages welcome. Limit first 100 people.
- As part of Staycation 2017, on Saturday, July 29 at 10am there is a hands-on Graphic Novel Workshop where teens will learn the art of creating graphic novels and exploring how art tells a story. Registration is required.
- Saturday, August 19 at 1pm the ever popular Teen Galaxy Spray Paint is back! Registration is required. It can be messy so be sure to dress for a mess!
- Introduction to Tai Chi: A Wellness Approach on Saturday, July 1 and Saturday July 8 at 9am with Robin Brooks. We will learn gentle movements that help to balance energy, increase vitality and generate well-being. Wear comfortable clothing, soft shoes, and bring a water bottle.
- Paul Doiron, Maine author of the Mike Bowditch series, will join us as part of our Staycation 2017 festivities. He will read at 2pm, but you will want to start the fun with Carol Birch Storyteller at 10am, and Gary Rainford, Maine poet, at 1pm. For details check out www.topshamlibrary.org/staycation
- Lighthouse Keeping with Ernest DeRaps August 2 at 6pm. Ernest G. DeRaps (U.S. Coast Guard, Retired) will show slides and give a talk about his family’s life in three Penobscot Bay Lighthouses and his own experiences in an isolated lighthouse south of Vinalhaven.
For more information about any of these programs, please call Topsham Public Library at 725-1727.
There is much more happening so be sure and get your packet!