Everyone, find your library card! Topsham Public Library is offering its patrons more value with the rolling out of a state-wide pilot program which allows our patrons in good standing to check out items from participating libraries.
The Maine Reciprocal Borrowing Program allows anyone with a valid library card from one of 68 participating libraries to visit any of the other participating libraries and check out materials in person. It’s referred to as “walk-in” borrowing because it essentially turns your local library card into a “statewide” library card!
There are some important guidelines for you to keep in mind:
- You MUST visit Topsham Public Library with your library card. We will check your library account and, if you are a member in good standing, we will affix a sticker to your library card. If you are one of our patrons, and you have lost your card we will issue you a new one.
- Not every library in the state has chosen to participate in this program at this time, so you must check the list of participating libraries. If a library is not on that list, you cannot check out books from them in person. If they have an item you want, you may request it through the already established inter-library loan process.
- When you visit any one of the participating libraries, you MUST have your Topsham Public Library card with you. If you do not have your Topsham Public Library card you WILL NOT be able to check out items from that library.
- Each participating library reserves the right to limit what can be borrowed through this program. Generally, however, if an item is available to borrow through inter-library loan, then it is most likely available to borrow through this program.
- If you do check out an item from another library, you may return it to Topsham Public Library and it will be returned via the inter-library loan system. You do not have to take it back to the library from which you checked it out (but you can if it is convenient).
- The due dates are based on the system’s inter-library rules, so it may not be the same date as Topsham Public Library’s due date.
- If you have any questions, please ask! We are happy to help and we will all learn this new system together.
The purpose of the program is to make your experience borrowing materials – and returning them – as convenient as possible. This is an exciting new option that is in it’s beginning stages, so there may be glitches here and there, but we are striving to present you with more, so come join the fun!